Three Home Care Assistance Services You May Not Have Known Were Available

Posted on

Many people are under the mistaken impression that if they break a hip, have knee replacement surgery, or have a small stroke, this means when they are ready to leave the hospital, they will then have to go to a nursing facility to convalesce and for their various therapies and treatment protocols. While this is sometimes the case, most people are actually sent back home so long as they have the proper support services lined up. Here is a look at the different non-medical home care assistance services available that you may need after a hospital stay, illness, injury, or diagnosis.

Occupational Therapy

An occupational therapist helps a person learn or re-learn how to care for themselves. Their focus is on helping their client find new ways to perform the routine activities of daily living. This includes things such as bathing, grooming, getting dressed and undressed, toileting, and minor household tasks. Clients often need to adjust how they previously performed these tasks. For example, a right-handed person who no longer has the use of their right arm due to injury or a stroke will need assistance to learn how to do things with not only one arm, but also their less dominant hand. The occupational therapist will provide tips and possibly occupational aids to teach the client new ways of caring for themselves.

Physical Therapy

While an occupational therapist helps a person be able to perform the necessary activities of daily living, a physical therapist's job is to get the client to be able to move their body properly and as the human body is intended to move. The goal of physical therapy is to help the patient regain and maintain mobility and flexibility. This is done through various exercises, stretches, and other goal-oriented treatment therapies.

Speech And Language Pathologist

A speech and language pathologist is the professional therapist who helps people learn or re-learn to talk or communicate in other ways. They work with clients of all ages, from non-verbal autistic children to people with traumatic brain injuries to those who have suffered a debilitating stroke. Other conditions also require the help of a speech and language pathologist as well. For example, people with Parkinson's disease often have a hard time swallowing, which can make speech as well as controlling saliva difficult.

Most insurance providers will cover these services as long as they are prescribed and deemed medically necessary by your physician. Medicare Part B will also usually cover these home health assistance services as well. Visit a website like for more information.